Sunday, January 2, 2011

Fuss About Nothing

I'm stealing this line from my current musical hero - Ian Hunter.  This song, written in early 2007, tells the story of trusting Wall Street, which had not yet completely pulverized the world economy..  This guy saw it coming -

I got a bridge I can sell ya
I got a pyramid
I got a time share in Florida
How'd ya like a piece of it?

You're making a fuss about nothin'
Everything's under control
That bee in your bonnet's got liberal on it
Sit back and relax, watch it all unfold

Never forget: I got a direct line
I'm a man you can trust in
If it's left to the left
There won't be nothing left
You're making a fuss about nothin'

To me, it's extraordinary to find a musician singing about an impending event that the great business minds of the world couldn't call - and defining it in clever political terms as in the line "if it's left to the left there won't be anything left" - brilliant!  Remember, in early 2007 things were still humming along-

This world is a ball with a map on
We conquer we buy and we sell
This world is a tank with a tap on
Business as usual

Now I'm just protecting your interests
I'm just defending your faith
These guys that were caught with their hands in the till
Nothing to do with me, mate, nothing to do with me


Nothing to do with me mate!   It's the other assholes that wrecked things. 

The one item Ian leaves out is the fact that most of these greedy bastards are his and my generation - the Boomers.  Suffice to say the Boomers have been a colossal disappointment.  Where's the disgust?  People (not necessarily Boomers) keep writing about the Boomers as if we are somehow still in a position to demand and receive whatever we want.   We fucking blew it!  Someone with a bullhorn should be pointing out how fucked up we have made these times.  It's fair to do that!!   

May I borrow your bullhorn?

No comments:

Post a Comment